(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

Thursday, June 30, 2011

the fruits of the 6-27-11 poetry workshop led by Joe Limer

You likely don't know who Joe Limer is. He's an associate professor at Palomar College in Escondido, California. That's on the surface. Beyond that he is an extremely talented performance artist - his speciality: def poetry. I was fortunate enough to attend a quickly thrown together workshop he hosted before he returned to California this week and it produced a lot in me to think about and consider with my new and existing works - good fuel to push me over the finish line with this current book of poetry I'm finishing up in the near future.

Anyway, the first exercise was in speed writing haikus - just getting an emotion onto the paper as raw and unadulterated - and fast - as possible. I was able to grind out six in the 10 minutes we were given. I thought I'd go ahead and share them with you all - a little hors d'oeuvre for you all until my next post.

All in all, it was a great experience, and I can't wait to do something like it again. Thanks Joe - and keep up the amazing work!


'workshop haikus 6-27-11'



This is not a gift
Or perhaps there are no gifts
Until we learn to take

Hops twine up the lines
The season jogs so swiftly
I really must catch up

The morning car ride
Screams out to invite the song
I never turn one on

I pen the never
I dream the past that once was
I grasp what must be

Gain the upper hand
Shrug the weight of atlas now
Stomp upon the rest

Thou art in a glass
Color, texture, flavor, smell
Drunk on every part


- Joshua Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment