(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 14 - "Memory of a Lucid dream"

Guten Morgen, mein friends. And what a morning it is.

I feel more tired today than if I'd been out drinking all night and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's the weather - muggy and supremely foggy outside as the sun continues its late-spring work of slicing through it to proclaim its daily majesty. It's triumphant return. But enough garnishment... I'm too tired for excessive verbiage at the moment.

In any sense, given this over-grogginess I'm feeling I've decided to post a poem from another time in my life when I was stuck tight in the grip of sleepiness and had a strange and interesting experience that eventually became poem-worthy. I remember it occurring at one of my old workplaces - one of those things that happens out of nowhere, in the dim, mindless hours of the early morning. Something that occurs in the twilight of consciousness that cannot be explained, as we fully wake ourselves later, wondering again and again if that was actually real or merely a dream. Whatever the case, I let it be and eventually ended up chronicling it in this work and expanding upon the feelings and thoughts it produced in me. I hope you all enjoy it for what it's worth, for now I must bid you all a fond adieu until tomorrow... alas, I'm going back to bed for a while to visit those charming kingdoms once more. :)


Memory of a Lucid dream


I opened my heavy eyes from
Sleep, or so I believed.
And what therein I
Perceived
Was some bright incandescent, and a face
Mild, yet pleasant
That turned and stole a brief moment’s
Pure, desirous essence
That I have since
Longed for to keep.

Will we remember this
One dream of a life
When our eyes are
Glazed over
With eternity’s light?

One cannot tell, but
If it be so
May we sleepers forego the
Infernal beams of lunar glow;

For the fancies we seek
are but the heathenish lore
Of Morpheus, Phantasos, and Phobetor
Who tend those charming kingdoms
For evermore.


- Joshua Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment