(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 13 - "Fables Ex Vivo"

A good Sunday morning to you all!

Today's a bit of a busy day for me, and in keeping with my schedule I decided to post a poem that's probably something more desirable in terms of today's social climate. Something fast - something easily digestible. Something you can take one or two glances at and still receive a nugget of golden understanding. I suppose they're fairly haiku-like in nature, really, but their format is of my own invention, I assure you (unless this is some sort of poetic style I am currently unaware of). The poem in itself is six little observations I've made over time and condensed into bits that, together, form a whole. The Latin term "ex vivo" literally translates as "out of the living" or 'that which takes place out of an organism'. This is what I sought to document and raise to a level of observation far above the ordinary - ideas attached to mere moments; things to be considered in a far more aesthetic sense. All in all, I suppose that's just poetry in general. So be it. I've created poetry. Ha, think of that!

Here it is. I hope you all enjoy and have a wonderful, restful Sunday.


"Fables Ex Vivo"


1
The child gazed at a brochure in the soaking rain
And wondered
How did they make the sky so blue?


2
When it turned straight ahead to watch them
The statue’s glare
Met the salt pillars’ and wouldn’t speak their names


3
Mumbled prophecies dropped from the hand
Into the paper cup
And the suit felt death was a great idea


4
There was no reason for the markings on the stone
But in time
Their silence would evolve and breed lonely horrors


5
Younglings stroll uncertainly about the streets and
Attempt to embrace
The worth of bottles and the rattle-songs of scavenging


6
Muscled steaming animas gutted the groaning age
Shuddering through fevers
They had contracted from the coughs of golden calves


- Joshua Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment