(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 6 - "Train wreck of Thought"

For today's poem, I thought I'd post something a little out of the ordinary. It's a very super-modern/postmodernistic work for me - a style that I don't try out very often in my poetic ventures, but at the time it seemed appropriate for what I was trying to relate. The formatting might look a bit strange on this blog (since it's really formatted the way I like it in Word) but, regardless, I think the idea of the piece will still come through in some form. This is one of those poems that has come to me during dark and dreary times where I can't help but consider things in lights that others may call pessimistic or overly gloomy - in response, maybe I can't say that they're totally wrong, but I do think to look at the world without the 'rose-colored glasses' on sometimes is a healthy activity and really puts things in perspective once the sugar-coating has worn off and we see things for how they really are.

This is a pretty common theme for me, and I hope you enjoy this one. Even if you don't, I can understand - It's pretty strange, but for what it's worth, I really like it myself.


"Train wreck of Thought"


I have compiled the nomenclatures generated
by numerous academic sources:

Divine Chaos
A nervous Tick
A whirling dervish on an Axis
A space-lost bulb

LITTERED WITH:

A burgeoning multitude spawned
By television Static

Tutored by the whine of an air-raid siren
ushering the droves into classroom shelters

They imitate the blaring well, knowing nothing of its knell

In a little old place where
All life is consumed
By an urge to RAGE against the DYING of the LIGHT
A
Light
Which
It
Continues to Douse
With overflowing quaffs of disenchantment

Our elbows are on the table
‘Cause we still don’t know any better
and we’re all still waiting for the check
or the kireji

one or the ‘utha...

I ordered my morals and values
On a bumper sticker, miss
with a side dish of refrigerator magnet –

and i’ve been waiting patiently for the grim reaper to come 4 me
in his knock-knock joke.

...some service, eh?


- Joshua Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment