(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 5 - "There's love, and then there's love"

Good morning, all. So I wasn't able to post a poem yesterday on account of spending the whole day with my fiancee because it was our two year anniversary. :) Therefore, I'm following up with a double whammy today and I thought it best to post this poem for yesterday - a poem that I wrote for my fiancee; always reminded of the many different ways in which she makes me so happy, and keeping me mindful of the very mutable nature of love in general.


"There's love, and then there's love"


There’s love, and then there’s love
The second’s different from the first
The first will wait for your first date
The second, when things are worst

This doesn’t mean the second love
Is something that’s to dread
Or that the first is nothing more
Than sweet words that we’ve said

And never has it been the truth
That the first in time shall fade
The fact is that it stays intact and
Molds the second to be made, but

To say the second is much stronger
Is a debate one might avoid
For the first is what has held us
Through those moments we enjoyed

Where the first would say, “You’re beautiful”
The second would gaze and smile
The first would take you in their arms
The second would hold you awhile

The first will hand you a ring and a rose
And the second will make you tea
The first will love you till the end
And the second will be there to see

For when the second’s full matured
The first will take rest in the mind
And hold those moments dear to us
Both the first and second entwined

And here and again, they both remind
That there’s love, and then there’s love
The first that sowed the sweetest dream
And the second that grew thereof


- Joshua Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment