(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

(First Light over Canaan Valley, WV - where I grew up)

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 4 - "Micro-omniscience"

For today's poem, I decided to post this poem in particular for two reasons. One, because the weather and general mood of the day is very much like the day when I originally composed this poem and this atmosphere figures heavily with the themes in the poem itself. Two, because this is one of two poems of mine that were recently published in UVM's annual Vantage Point student art & literary compiliation which was just released to the public today. I received my copy a few hours ago and, I have to say, the front cover is pretty badass. And yeah, I guess the stuff inside the cover is pretty neat too. :) Pick up a copy if you're able, and if you're here at UVM in Burlington, VT tonight, don't miss out on the naked bike ride. You just might see a naked poet running around, if you're lucky!


"Micro-omniscience"


Even wrappers that flitter in the dull wind
hath more life and color
Than this field of martyred grass, browned and gaunt
in profound and ageless lamentation
that can recall
a thousand other deaths
like hooded monks forced to meditate
on how horrid they are for daring to exist
in this tyrants’ land, where 99¢ will always accede the throne
and we shall sit and watch the fireworks’ finale in delight
upon their trampled heads.


- Joshua Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment